Feb 21 2014
By MAC LETHAL
Feb 21 2014
By MAC LETHAL
Feb 16 2014
Chennai: A 14-year-old Chennai boy has developed a mobile app that he calls i-Safe, which will help women in distress. An SOS mode in the app, when activated, repeatedly sends SMS alerts giving location details to friends and family members whose numbers have been pre-set.
He is now working on adding a functionality to rope in the local community so that during a distress call, people nearby are automatically alerted to reach out to the person in danger, without having to wait for the police.
The teen, S. Arjun, a Class VIII student, had last year developed an app called Ez School Bus Locator, which won the first place in an app contest organised by the Massachusetts Institute of Technology. That app for Android phones helps parents track the location of their children’s school bus, and also calculate how much time the vehicle will take to reach the destination. Even those with basic phones can use it by SMSing.
Arjun has also earlier won an App Inventor Bug Finding Contest organised by MIT.
His big dream right now is to “have my own company called Lateralogics to make it something like Google and Microsoft,” Arjun told NDTV.
Arjun’s parents say he spends three to four hours online every day to learn programming languages. “We were lucky to make the right kind of tools available to him. Programming helps children develop many life skills like problem solving, decision making, etc. and that’s one reason my wife and I encouraged him towards this,” Arjun’s father, Santosh Kumar said.
The parents say Arjun is quite popular in his school. His hobbies include robotics, chess and badminton.
Feb 5 2014
CNN) – Let’s get ready to … mumble.
As in, what now, George Zimmerman?
Seems like the former neighborhood watchman has found yet another way to remain in the public limelight.
This time, he’ll be stepping into a boxing ring. Although no contract has been signed, a promoter is negotiating with rapper DMX to fight him, according to the promoter and a rep for DMX.
“DMX has promised to ‘beat his ass,’ but no contract or paperwork has been signed or agreed to yet,” DMX spokesman Domenick Nati told CNN Wednesday.
Zimmerman said the celebrity boxing match was his idea. Boxing was his hobby, he told Radar Online last month, even prior to the “incident.”
The incident, of course, is the February 2012 encounter in which he shot dead an unarmed Trayvon Martin, 17. He stood trial for murder but was acquitted last year.
“Prior to the incident, I was actually going to the gym for weight loss and doing boxing-type training for weight loss,” he told Radar.
“A mutual friend put me in contact with Damon and provided me with an opportunity and motivation to get back in shape and continue with my weight loss goals and also be able to help a charity out.”
Damon is Damon Feldman, owner of Celebrity Boxing and a self-described opportunist whose claim to fame is putting together bizarre matchups. Think Tonya Harding, Michael Lohan.
He said last week that he was accepting offers for someone to step into the ring for a three-round, pay-per-view fight with Zimmerman.
“The news has been out for an hour and my e-mail is overloaded with 8,000 people wanting to fight George,” Feldman told CNN on Thursday.
Early Wednesday morning, he said he’d picked the contender. Out of more than 15,000 e-mailed requests, he’s going with DMX.
“The match will be one of the Biggest Celebrity Boxing matches of all time,” his news release said (uppercase emphasis his).
But in order to find out where and when it will take place, we’ll have to wait until next week. Feldman said Wednesday he was shooting for March 15.
DMX, as we know is a rapper, and braggadocio is his calling card.
He’s out for blood, he told TMZ. Not only will he break every rule in boxing, he said, he’ll “beat the living (expletive)” out of Zimmerman.
Ian Karmel, a writer for “Chelsea Lately,” has a better idea.
“They should send Floyd Mayweather to the ring and tell George Zimmerman it’s DMX,” he tweeted. “He won’t know the difference.”
Not everyone welcomes the chance to see Zimmerman taking punches. Rev. Al Sharpton told a Los Angeles group Wednesday that he was concerned “about the precedent that it sets.”
“We must be very careful not to glorify or in any way sidestep the implications of making someone whose only claim to fame was killing an unarmed young man named Trayvon Martin into a cultural celebrity or hero,” Sharpton said.
A petition has been launched on Change.org calling for the planned boxing event to be canceled. “This is a blatant show of disrespect and nothing positive or righteous would come from such a stunt,” it reads.
Jan 30 2014
PITTSBURGH (AP) — An employee of a McDonald’s restaurant in Pittsburgh was charged Wednesday with selling heroin in Happy Meals to customers using the coded request “I’d like to order a toy.”
Allegheny County authorities made the arrest after an informant told them that an employee was selling the drug at a McDonald’s in the East Liberty section of the city.
Customers looking for heroin were instructed to go through the drive-thru and say, “I’d like to order a toy,” said Mike Manko, spokesman for District Attorney Stephen A. Zappala Jr. The customer would then drive to the window, hand over the money and get a Happy Meal box containing heroin in exchange, Manko said.
Undercover agents set up a drug buy and arrested Shania Dennis, 26, of East Pittsburgh. Dennis denied wrongdoing to reporters as she was being led away in handcuffs.
Authorities said they found 10 bags of heroin in a Happy Meal box and recovered another 50 bags from the suspect.
Another McDonald’s employee was arrested this month for selling heroin out of a restaurant in nearby Murrysville.
Authorities said the heroin recovered Wednesday does not appear to be related to the fentanyl-laced heroin blamed for 22 overdose deaths in southwestern Pennsylvania.
Via Huffington Post:
Jan 25 2014
Nicki Minaj took to her Instagram to express her displeasure with the way ESPN retouched her photos, saying she prefers her own unretouched shots much better.
She posted a photo of ESPN’s cover shot on her IG with the caption “When retouching goes wrong.”
”I love my personal unretouched photos where my forehead doesn’t mysteriously grow in length,” she captioned one of her own shots she posted.
Hit the flip to check the photos in question and see Nicki’s personal photos of the shoot with Kobe Bryant.
Source: The Source
Jan 19 2014
Two Canadian accountants are among the 21 victims of a suicide bombing at a restaurant popular with foreign nationals in Kabul, Afghanistan.
CTV News has confirmed that the two men killed when a suicide bomber and two others with guns attacked Friday, are Martin Glazer of Gatineau, Que., and Peter McSheffrey of Ottawa, both of whom worked for the Quebec accounting firm Samson & Associates.
In a statement, Peter’s brother Robert McSheffrey said family and friends “are all grieving his tragic and shocking loss.”
Martin Glazer, left, and Peter McSheffrey, right, were killed in a suicide bombing in Kabul, Afghanistan on Friday, Jan. 17, 2014.
An Afghan driver removes a broken windshield of his car following the Friday’s suicide attack and shooting in Kabul, Afghanistan, Saturday, Jan. 18, 2014. (AP / Rahmat Gul)
Afghan security forces personnel investigate the site of Friday’s suicide attack and shooting, in Kabul, Afghanistan, Saturday, Jan. 18, 2014. (AP / Rahmat Gul)
Afghan security forces investigate the aftermath of Friday’s suicide attack and shooting in Kabul, Afghanistan, Saturday, Jan. 18, 2014. (AP / Rahmat Gul)
“What makes this particularly difficult for the family is that Peter was the victim of senseless violence against innocent people. Peter loved to travel and was doing meaningful work.”
Pierre Samson, of Samson & Associates, told CTV News Channel on Saturday that the two men were doing auditing work for the Canadian International Development Agency in Afghanistan.
“We’ve never had problems before, but I think in this case they were in the wrong place at the wrong time, unfortunately,” Samson said, explaining that the two men were eating dinner when the attack occurred.
Samson said one of the men killed in the attack had been to Afghanistan before, and both men had received training prior to the trip.
“We have training from International Affairs and Consular Affairs, who say … what they should do and what they should not be doing (in a war zone),” he said.
The international community is condemning the attack, which left a total of 21 dead, including 13 foreigners and eight Afghans.
The deceased at the La Taverna du Liban restaurant included American, British, Lebanese, Russian, Danish and Malaysian citizens.
Khanjar Wabel Abdallah of Lebanon, the head of the International Monetary Fund in Afghanistan, and three United Nations staff – Nasreen Khan, a UNICEF health specialist from Pakistan, Basra Hassan, a Somali-American working as a nutrition specialist for UNICEF, and Vadim Nazarov, a political affairs officer from Russia – were among those killed.
The U.S. Embassy in Kabul confirmed that three Americans were killed, including two university employees working for the American University of Afghanistan.
Others identified were two British citizens – development specialist Dharmender Singh Phangura and bodyguard Simon Chase.
A Taliban suicide bomber had detonated an explosive at the popular Kabul restaurant that at the time was packed with wealthy Afghans and foreigners. Following the explosion, two other attackers entered and fired bullets into the crowd.
Canada’s Foreign Affairs minister, the Danish Prime Minister Helle Thorning-Schmidt and UN Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon condemned the attack and demanded an end to the violence.
“Canada condemns in the strongest possible terms the targeted, cowardly terrorist attack today on a restaurant in Kabul,” John Baird said in a statement Friday. “On behalf of all Canadians, we extend our sincerest condolences to the families and friends of those who were killed and injured in this horrible and senseless act of terror.”
The Taliban claimed responsibility for the attack, saying it was reprisal for an Afghan military operation earlier in the week against insurgents in Parwan province, which the insurgents claimed killed many civilians.
“The target of the attack was a restaurant frequented by high-ranking foreigners,” Taliban spokesman Zabihullah Mujahid said in an emailed statement to the Associated Press. He said the attack targeted a place “where the invaders used to dine with booze and liquor in the plenty.”
With files from The Canadian Press and The Associated Press
Jan 10 2014
On the eve of Super Bowl XLVIII (February 1), Drake will headline a private show for Time Warner Cable’s REVOLT. Network chairman Diddy will host and also perform during the pre-game party, while Hot 97′s Funkmaster Flex and Ross One handle the turntables.
This show caps off a week-long event with nightly parties leading up to the Big Game.
VH1 is in the process of preparing to put on a string of six concerts entitled the VH1 Super Bowl Blitz. The concert series will feature artists from a number of genres performing in all five New York City boroughs along with a New Jersey show.
J. Cole, Janelle Monae, Fall Out Boy, TLC, Goo Goo Dolls, and Gavin DeGraw will all perform in individual concerts that will air live on the network each night.
VH1 Super Bowl Blitz starts this coming Monday, Jan. 27
Live streaming will also be available via the VH1 mobile app and at SuperBowl.VH1.com.
Concert schedule is as follows:
1/27 – J. Cole – Queens College – Queens, NY
1/28 – Janelle Monae – Lehman College – The Bronx, NY
1/29 – Fall Out Boy – Brooklyn Bowl – Brooklyn, NY
1/30 – TLC – Beacon Theatre – Manhattan, NY
1/31 – Goo Goo Dolls – St. George Theatre – Staten Island, NY
2/1 – Gavin DeGraw – Wellmont Theatre – Montclair, New Jersey